New Orleans Stuffed Mirlitons
Mirlitons are also called achiote squash.
- 6 medium-to-large mirlitons
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons oil or butter or bacon grease
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound ham, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- Dash Tabasco
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
Boil mirlitons until tender, cut in half and remove seeds. Scoop out inside of mirlitons leaving enough flesh to keep shell intact.
In a large heavy skillet, heat oil or bacon grease. Sauté onions, garlic and celery until soft. Add shrimp and ham. Cook 10 minutes.
Remove excess water from mirliton and mash. Add all remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs. Fill the reserved shells.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in reserved crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over mirlitons. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.