Braised Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 red cabbage cored, and shredded - (abt 6 cups packed)
- 1 large apple cored, and roughly chopped
- Water as needed
- 3 tablespoons currant jelly
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in 3-quart non-aluminum pot over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add cabbage, apple, 1 1/4 cups water, jelly, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to boil. Stir until well mixed, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until very tender with a slight crunch, about 40 minutes. If mixture is too dry, add more water as needed.
Stir in remaining butter. Taste and adjust seasoning, vinegar and sugar. (Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Let come to room temperature before reheating. Gently reheat on stove top or in microwave until hot, adding more water if needed. Adjust seasonings.) Serve hot.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
Each of 10 servings: 57 calories; 264 mg sodium; 6 mg cholesterol; 2 grams fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 0.52 gram fiber.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage,... 4.5/5 (165 Votes)
- Zero Point Weight Watchers Cabbage... 4.4/5 (146 Votes)
- Country Cabbage Soup 4.5/5 (111 Votes)