Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch Catfish
- 1/2 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning, preferably Old Bay (optional)
- 4 to 6 catfish filets - (4 to 8 oz ea)
- Peanut oil for deep frying
Thoroughly mix cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and seafood seasoning in bowl. Dredge filets in mixture to coat completely.
Heat 2 to 3 inches peanut oil in large skillet to about 375 degrees. Drop 2 filets at a time in hot oil. Fry fish until golden brown, 4 to 7 minutes, depending on thickness, or until cooked as desired. Drain on paper towels.
Variation: For fish fingers, cut each filet into strips, then dredge in dry cornmeal mixture.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Each of 6 servings: 282 calories; 409 mg sodium; 61 mg cholesterol; 14 grams fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 21 grams protein; 0.16 gram fiber.