Florence Momma's Candied Yams
Holiday side dishe
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 orange, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an ungreased 2-quart baking dish place sweet potato slices, overlapping slightly and covering the dish. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook until sugar is dissolved, then add the orange slices. Pour the mixture over the potatoes, covering the entire surface.
Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until the top is golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Makes 8 to 10 servings plus leftovers.