Wild Mushroom, Leek & Gruyère Quiche
There is no flavour combination quite like that of earthy mushrooms, tangy cheese and sweet leeks. This savoury tart is a natural make-ahead option for an effortless brunch, but it's so versatile that you can also serve it for lunch or dinner with a nice crisp white wine and mixed tender greens.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mixed wild mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster or chanterelle
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup 10% cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold lard, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Ice water
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 105mins
Pastry: In large bowl, whisk together flour, thyme and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter and lard until in coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces.
In liquid measure, whisk egg yolk with vinegar; add enough ice water to make 1/3 cup. Drizzle over dry ingredients, stirring briskly with fork to form ragged dough. Press into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.)
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to generous 1/8-inch thickness; fit into 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish. Trim edge to leave 1-inch overhang; fold under pastry rim and flute edge. Prick all over with fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Line pie shell with foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake on bottom rack of 400ºF oven for 20 minutes. Remove weights and foil. Bake until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Meanwhile, in skillet, melt 1 tsp of the butter over medium heat; cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into bowl.
Add remaining butter to pan; cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Spread in pie shell along with leek and Gruyère cheese.
In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir in parsley. Pour into pie shell.
Bake in 375ºF oven, covering pastry rim with foil if browning too quickly, until filling is set and knife inserted in centre comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes before serving. (Make-ahead: Let cool; cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Reheat, uncovered, in 350ºF/180ºC oven, about 35 minutes.)
Additional information :
Change It up
Spinach and Feta Quiche
Substitute 1/2 cup cooked baby spinach (about 4 cups fresh) for the mushrooms, 2 shallots for the leek and 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese for the Gruyère. Reduce salt to 1/4 tsp
You'll also love
- Best Broccoli Ever 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Chinese Beef Stir Fry 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Sante Fe Salad with Chili-Lime... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas with... 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Choux farci au Saumon / Salmon... 4.2/5 (37 Votes)
- Crockpot 3-Ingredient Balsamic... 4.1/5 (60 Votes)
- Pistachio Wedding Cookies 4.1/5 (47 Votes)
- Deluxe Sugar Cookies 4.1/5 (33 Votes)