Beef and Barley Soup
All barley is high in fiber, but hulled barley is the most nutrient-dense. If you make this soup with pearl barley, use 2 cups water in step 4 and cook, covered, for 10 minutes in step 5.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound London broil, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (from 4 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup hulled or pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Garnish: grated fresh horseradish
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 240mins
1.Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil in a medium Dutch oven or a large pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
2.Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and cook onion, carrot, and mushrooms until golden, stirring occasionally, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
3.Add garlic and tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add wine. Return to heat, and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom using a wooden spoon. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
4.Return beef to pot, and add stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
5.Add barley, and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, and cook until beef and barley are tender, 20 to 25 minutes more. Stir in parsley. Divide soup among 6 bowls, and garnish with horseradish.