Vegan Caramel Apple Pie with Caramel Sauce
- Vegan Caramel sauce (see my recipe for full variations and instructions)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup vegan shortening (or vegan buttery spread for a more opaque caramel)
- 3/4 - 1 cup vegan dry sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn starch (or arrowroot)
- dash ginger powder
- Dash cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- as you can see, the sugar/fat ingredients are slightly modifiable based on your sweetness/richness preferences.
- Apple Pie Filling
- 3 large tart apples, roughly peeled (or not), sliced extra thin
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder (dash of nutmeg optional too)
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or dry sugar)
- 2 Tbsp caramel apple sauce
- dotting: 1-2 Tbsp vegan buttery spread
- 2 pie vegan crusts (frozen or homemade)
Adapted from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Prepare your apples. Peel (optional), core and slice. A few skins left on is OK. Slice extra thin. Toss the apples in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. set aside.
3. Start your caramel sauce. Dissolve the corn starch into the cider. Add it to a sauce pan with the other ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil - stirring constantly. When the bubbling becomes intense, reduce to medium heat and continue stirring until the mixture thickens a bit. It will fully thicken as it cools in the fridge. Remove from heat. Pour 2 Tbsp of the caramel sauce over the resting apples - fold well. Pour the remaining sauce into a bowl and chill in the fridge.
4. Work with your pie crusts however you prefer - I did a closed top pie - but you can do lattice or even folded over high rimmed sides like a tart. I like to bake my bottom layer crust for a quick 5 minutes before adding filling and top pie crust. I also like to spritz canola oil on the top layer of crust and sprinkle some sugar as well. Dot apples with vegan buttery spread before closing with top layer crust. If you are not doing lattice design, be sure to add holes to the top of your pie crust to properly vent - allows moisture to escape so your pie doesn't get soggy.
5. Bake pie in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce to 350 and bake for a remaining 20-25 minutes. Baking time for a pie can be a matter of preference - I don't like well-done crusts and prefer them to be tender rather than too crisp. If you want your top a bit more brown, leave in for an extra 5 minutes at 350.
6. Cool pie. For at least an hour. Serve warm or stick in the fridge if serving at a later time. Don't forget to drizzle warmed caramel sauce over top the entire pie - or each pie slice!
You'll also love
- Slow-Smoked Turkey with Cane... 4.2/5 (14 Votes)
- Blueberry, Oatmeal & Flaxseed... 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Peach Pineapple Crumble 3.9/5 (84 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Cake 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Fresh apple cake with caramel sauce 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Kraft Caramel Apple Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- CRAZY CARAMEL APPLE PIE BOMBS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)