Peach Whisky Barbecue Chicken Recipe
I don't drink whiskey. Never have, never will. However, I do like the way that whiskey makes flavorful sauces! That works for me. This recipe is adapted from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks". Instead of baking this recipe in the oven for 1-1/2 hours, I pressure cooked this in 10 minutes. The chicken thighs were tender, and the barbecue sauce had just the right balance of savory and sweet (from peach jam), with another layer of flavor from the whiskey. Served over creamy mashed potatoes, this is a great Fall/Winter way to capture the flavor of barbecue. I also proportioned this dinner for two servings, but you can easily double or triple the amount of chicken.
- 4 whole chicken thighs, boneless, skin-on, patted dry
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup whiskey
- 8 ounces, fluid barbecue sauce
- 1 jar peach preserves
- 1 or 2 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced (optional but good)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 whole green onions, sliced thin
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 10mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Note: I used an electric pressure cooker, that has a browning cycle. If you don't own pressure cooker, you can brown the chicken on the stove and then bake this in a Dutch oven. I will provide both ways of preparing this.
Pat the chicken dry, and season with salt & pepper.
For a pressure cooker:
Heat oil and butter, using the brown cycle (for an electric pressure cooker) or on medium high on the stove. Likewise, you can make this in a heavy pot over medium-high heat.
Place chicken thighs, four at a time, in the pot, skin side down. Brown both sides, then remove to a plate and repeat until all chicken is browned. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Pour off half the grease, then return pan to stove. Add onions to pan and stir, cooking for 2 minutes.
Pour whiskey into the pot, being very careful if you're using an open flame. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan, allowing whiskey to reduce for a minute or two.
Pour in barbecue sauce, peach preserves, peaches (if using) water, and Worcestershire sauce. Throw in garlic cloves. Stir until combined, then return chicken to the pot, skin side up.
For a pressure cooker:
Lock the lid on, and set the pressure to HIGH for 10 minutes. Do a quick release, carefully removing the lid away from you.
For the oven method:
Cover and put pot in oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, then remove from oven at 300°F.
Serve pieces of chicken over a big pile of smashed potatoes. Sprinkle sliced green onions over the top.
You'll also love
- Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken (From... 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Peach Vanilla Cheesecake Trifle 3.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Thai Sticky Chicken Fingers 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken Vegetable Soup with Herbs 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Brined Chicken Thighs 3.9/5 (29 Votes)
- Sesame-Crusted Roast Chicken 4/5 (7 Votes)
Review this recipe