Mango Chicken Curry
Ripe mangoes get cooked with onion, peppers, garlic, ginger, curry powder, spices, and vinegar to make a sweet, tangy curry sauce for chicken.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 3/4 cups onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 mangos, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 1/4 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces (green part only)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Jasmine rice, cooked per package directions
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the curry powder and cumin, cook for a few more minutes. The spices will absorb some of the oil, so if anything begins to stick too much to the bottom of the pan, add a little more oil to the pan.
Add the vinegar, coconut milk, and one of the two chopped mangoes to the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Purée the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
Add chicken pieces and raisins to the pan. Return to a low simmer. Cover the pan and let cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Chicken should be just cooked through. Use a knife to cut open the largest piece to check.
Add remaining chopped mango and scallions to the pan. Let cook at a very low temperature for another minute or two, uncovered. Adjust seasonings. If a little too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If not sweet enough, you can add a dash of sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over Jasmine rice.
You'll also love
- Cornmeal and Ricotta Waffles 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Candy Corn Cupcakes 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- German Chocolate Cake 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Snickers Bar Rice Krispie Treats 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Homemade Cherry Pie Filling = The... 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Chicken Mozzarella Pasta with... 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Thai Mango Chicken 4.8/5 (5 Votes)