Meyer Lemon Sweet Rolls
Soft, sweet, and delicate. These Lemon Meyer Sweet Rolls aren't quick, but gosh darnit all, they are delicious. The tangy tartness of Meyer lemons combines perfectly with these light, buttery rolls and a rich cream cheese icing that is sure to send you over the moon with wonderment.
- 2 cups very warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Zest and juice of 6 Meyer Lemons
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese
- 6 cups powdered sugar
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the warm water and yeast. Allow the yeast to proof by setting is aside for about 5 minutes. If a foamy layer forms at the top of the water, your yeast is ready to go!
2. Whisk in the dry milk, 1/2 cup of sugar, and salt. Add 1/2 cup of softened butter to the mixture, as well as the egg. Slowly begin stirring in the flour, one cup at a time. Add just enough flour to create a soft (but not sticky dough). Knead the dough until it becomes elastic. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the dough, place it in in a large, clean bowl, cover lightly with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for one hour.
3. Cut the risen dough into thirds. Use a rolling pin to spread the dough into a long, thin rectangle (about 1/2 inch thick). Melt the 1 cup of butter and spread approximately one-third of the melted butter over the long rectangle of dough. Sprinkle the zest of two lemons across the butter (you can sprinkle more for a lot of lemon flavor), then sprinkle 1/3 cup of sugar across the melted butter. Roll the dough up tightly, then slice into 1 1/2 inch cinnamon rolls, and transfer to a large baking sheet. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Allow the rolls to raise on top of your preheating oven for 20-30 minutes. Bake rolls in the oven for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are a light, golden brown. Remove and frost immediately with Lemon Meyer Cream Cheese Icing.
5. For the icing, beat together all of the fresh-squeezed juice from the lemons, cream cheese, and powdered sugar until very smooth. Spread over warm Lemon Meyer Sweet Rolls. Enjoy immediately.