Hawaiian Grilled Chicken & Pineapple
Hawaiian Grilled Chicken is best with fresh pineapple, but canned pineapple will work in a pinch. Chicken is threaded on skewers and grilled. Serve with a side of rice.
- BASTING SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, or sherry
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped into small pieces, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Leftover marinade
Adapted from grocerybudget101.com
In a small bowl mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic powder. In a marinating dish, (if you don't have one you can place them in a 9 x 13 casserole dish, place the chicken pieces and several pineapple slices that have been chopped into small pieces into the dish, pour over the marinade, stir until well coated. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours. If using a marinating dish, flip it over after an hour.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Soak 10-12 wooden skewers in a tall glass of water. This prevents the skewers from burning during cooking.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. Now, you're left with some tasty leftover marinade. If you'd like to baste your chicken during cooking, you can make a light basting sauce. In a small sauce pan add the leftover marinade (with pineapple pieces) over medium heat, stirring occasionally. While it is heating in a small bowl mix cornstarch and COLD water (Cornstarch only thickens once!), once your marinade is bubbling hot, add the cornstarch/water mix. Bring to a boil until thickened and no longer cloudy (this means the cornstarch is thoroughly incorporated into your sauce).
Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill the chicken kebabs 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, or until chicken juices run clear. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the pineapple slices, grill lightly on both sides.
Alternatively, you could use canned pineapple chunks and make Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by alternating pieces of chicken and pieces of pineapple.
You'll also love
- Lemon Brownies 4.5/5 (69 Votes)
- Blackened Flounder 3.8/5 (238 Votes)
- Crockpot Bacon Cheese Potatoes 4.3/5 (75 Votes)
- Butterscotch Banana Bundt Cake 4.3/5 (83 Votes)
- Glazed Flat Apple Pie 4.5/5 (65 Votes)
- Pineapple Cake 4.5/5 (61 Votes)
- Easy Strawberry Pineapple Shortcake 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
Review this recipe