Sweet Potato Cakes with Fresh Cranberry Relish
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 About 1/2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne. Add the sweet potato, cheese and thyme and toss. In a medium bowl, combine the egg and milk. Stir in the dry ingredients just until combined.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet. Working in batches, spoon rounded teaspoons of the batter into the skillet and flatten slightly to form 1 1/2-inch cakes. Cook over moderately high heat until the bottoms are lightly browned and tiny bubbles form on the tops, about 2 minutes. Flip the cakes and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to paper towels to drain and repeat with the remaining oil and batter. Arrange the cakes on a platter, top each one with about 1/2 teaspoon of the relish and serve.
MAKE AHEAD: The cakes can be layered between sheets of wax paper and refrigerated for 1 day. Reheat them in a 350 degree F oven.
You'll also love
- Cranapple Crock pot turkey breast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Turkey Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- impossible chicken broccoli pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Artichoke Quiche 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Citrus-Marinated Tempeh with Sweet... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Vodka Cranberry 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef and Potato Bake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Half 0/5 (0 Votes)