Cheesecake - Layered Pumpkin
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups fine graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons melted butter (1 stick)
- Vanilla and Pumpkin Filling
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- whipped cream or whipped topping for serving, optional
- caramel sauce or butterscotch sauce for serving, optional
Adapted from southernfood.about.com
Heat the oven to 375° F
For the crust, combine the graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 8 tablespoons of melted butter in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until all crumbs are blended into the butter.
Spread the crumbs in a 9- to 10-inch pie plate and tamp down firmly over the bottom and the sides.
Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool.
Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F
In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the 3/4 cup of brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat until well blended. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the cream cheese mixture into the cooled crust.
Into the remaining cream cheese mixture, beat the pumpkin, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the nutmeg. Spread over the first layer.
Bake the pie for 40 to 50 minutes, until set and just slightly jiggly in the center.
Cool on a rack. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (about 3 to 4 hours) before slicing.
Serve topped with whipped cream and drizzle with caramel or butterscotch sauce, if desired.