Bûche de Noël or Yule Log Cake
A traditional and nostalgic Christmas cake. This recipe is from TLC cooking. For additional instructions on chocolate "peeled bark" and meringue mushrooms visit http://www.sprinklebakes.com
- Cake and Filling:
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- Cocoa Frosting:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder, sifted*
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cake and Filling:
1.Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 15-1/2X10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pan; line pan with waxed paper. Grease waxed paper; set pan aside. Place flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl; stir to combine. Beat egg yolks and 2/3 cup granulated sugar in small bowl with electric mixer at high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored, scraping down side of bowl once. Beat in vanilla; set aside.
2.Beat egg whites in clean large bowl using clean beaters with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold flour mixture into egg yolk mixture; fold into egg white mixture until evenly incorporated. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
4. Lightly sift powdered sugar over clean dish towel. Loosen warm cake from edges of pan; invert onto prepared towel. Remove pan; carefully peel off waxed paper. Gently roll up cake in towel from short end, jelly-roll style. Let rolled cake cool completely on wire rack.
5. For chocolate filling, place chocolate chips and cream in heavy 1-quart saucepan. Heat over low heat until chocolate is melted, stirring frequently. Pour into small bowl; stir in rum. Cover and refrigerate about 1-1/2 hours or until filling is of spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
6. Prepare Cocoa Frosting. Refrigerate until ready to use. (see below for frosting instructions)
7. Unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cake with chilled chocolate filling to within 1/2 inch of edge; re-roll cake. Spread Cocoa Frosting over cake roll. Sprinkle with cocoa.
Beat cream, cocoa, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Do not over beat. Refrigerate until ready to use.