Basic Popcorn Balls
Fresh and homemade popcorn balls are a sweet treat, and easy to make. The trick is to make sure to butter or oil your hands when making them into balls.
- 9 cups plain popped popcorn
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/2 stick, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from ziplist.com
Coat a large heatproof bowl with butter, vegetable oil, or cooking spray and place popcorn in the bowl.
Place sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar, and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Place over high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 260°F on a candy/fat thermometer, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla until melted and smooth.
Immediately drizzle sugar mixture over popcorn and stir continuously with a rubber spatula, scraping the bottom of the bowl, until popcorn is thoroughly coated and cool enough to handle, about 3 minutes.
Using buttered or oiled hands, tightly press mixture (it may still be a bit warm) into 3-inch rounds. Place on waxed or parchment paper to cool completely, about 15 to 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Apple Pumpkin Muffins 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Thai Pumpkin Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Pumpkin Layer Cake 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Sticky Date Pudding with Toffee... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Asparagus Bacon Bundles 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Lemon, Thyme, & Cauliflower Bean... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Chocolate Cake with Divinity Icing 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Divinity 4.5/5 (15 Votes)