Salted Butter Apple Galette with Maple Whipped Cream
Stun your family and friends with this apple galette this holiday season. Does it take some work? Yep. Is it worth it? You bet. Get some friends to help!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- Basic Tart Dough
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 1 pound baking apples (such as Pink Lady; about 2 large), scrubbed, sliced 1/8” thick
- 3 tablespoons dark muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Place a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375°F. Place butter in a small saucepan and scrape in vanilla seeds; add pod. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until butter foams, then browns (be careful not to burn), 5–8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and remove pod.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a rough 14x10-inch rectangle about ⅛-inch thick (alternatively, roll out into a 12-inch round). Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Arrange apples on top, overlapping and leaving a 1½-inch border. Brush apples with brown butter and sprinkle with muscovado sugar. Lift edges of dough over apples, tucking and overlapping as needed to keep rectangular shape.
Beat egg with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl and brush crust with egg wash. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and bake, rotating once, until apples are soft and juicy and crust is golden brown, 40–50 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheet before slicing.
Beat cream in a medium bowl to medium-soft peaks. Fold in maple syrup and serve alongside galette.
DO AHEAD: Galette can be baked 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature. Reheat slightly before serving.
You'll also love
- Pork Chops with Maple-Ginger Pan... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Butter-Roasted Chicken with... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Linguine with Lemon Cream and... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Apple Peanut Butter Cookies 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Salted-Maple... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Lemony Ricotta Summer Squash... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Peach & Blackberry Galette 4.1/5 (16 Votes)