Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes
- For Sweet Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3-4 medium beet roots
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons evaporated milk
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease or line a cupcake pan.
Wrap beet roots in aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes or until beets are soft enough for a knife to slide easily through. Let cool, then peel.
In a food processor, pulse beets. Add sour milk and blend until smooth.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.
Alternate adding flour mixture and beet puree to the wet ingredients. Fold each addition with a spatula, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, until you have a smooth batter.
Fill each cupcake pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
Remove the cupcakes and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
In the bowl of your standmixer with the whisk attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, ¼ cup at a time. Add evaporated milk one tablespoon at a time until a smooth, thick frosting comes together. Top each cupcake with frosting.
Refrigerate before serving.
You'll also love
- Homemade Cracker Jack® Caramel... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- White Clam Sauce 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Banana Split Lush 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Grilled Hamburger Steaks with... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Beet and Carrot Cake 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe