Fried Zucchini Sticks
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- (or 1 tspn dried basil)
- 3/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups oil
Slice zucchini lengthwise into quarters; cut each piece in half crosswise and set aside.
Place flour in small brown paper bag and set aside. Blend bread crumbs, garlic and basil in food processor or blender just to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place seasoned bread crumbs in second small brown paper bag and set aside.
Beat eggs well in bowl and set aside.
Drop 6 to 8 zucchini sticks into bag of flour, close bag and shake to coat zucchini. Transfer floured zucchini sticks to metal strainer and shake off excess flour. Dip flour-coated zucchini into beaten eggs, then drop into bag of seasoned bread crumbs. Close bag and shake to coat zucchini. Transfer coated zucchini sticks to baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining zucchini sticks. (You can hold them at this point for at least 1 hour.)
Heat oil in deep-fryer or wok to 375 degrees or until hot enough to fry (without thermometer, test temperature by dropping small piece of bread into oil; it's ready when it sizzles and browns without burning). Drop 6 to 8 coated zucchini sticks into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to napkin-covered platter. Repeat with remaining zucchini sticks. Sprinkle zucchini with salt. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Each serving: 176 calories; 774 mg sodium; 54 mg cholesterol; 7 grams fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams protein; 0.41 gram fiber
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (810 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (397 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll Cake 4.5/5 (269 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (191 Votes)
- Veggie Club Sandwich and Zucchini... 4.5/5 (151 Votes)