Miso Azuki Stew
- 1 Cup dried azuki beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bunches green onions, white and green chopped separately, divided
- 1/2 Cup dried shitake mushrooms, crumbled
- 3/4 lb small red potatoes, quartered (2 cups)
- 1.5-2 Tablespoon miso paste
1. Soak beans in 4 cups cold water for 5 hours or overnight. Drain and reserve soaking liquid
2. Coat large saucepan or Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add white parts of green onions, sprinkle with salt and cover. Cook 5 to 7 min until onions are soft.
3. Add azuki beans and shitake mushrooms. Add enough water to soaking to make 4 cups and stir into bean mixture. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 min until beans are tender, adding water as necessary. Fold in potatoes, cover, and cook 15 min more, or until potatoes are tender and beans are soft but not mushy.
5. Ladle 1 cup broth from bean mixture into measuring cup. Stir in miso paste with fork until dissolved. Stir miso mixture into bean mixture and simmer 2-3 min more. Sprinkle with chopped green onion parts before serving.