Healthified Raspberry French Toast
65% fewer calories •84% less fat • 84% less sat fat than the original recipe
1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 35); Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 360mg; Total Carbohydrate 39g Protein 8g
- Prep Time:20 min
- Start to Finish:1 hr 5 min
- French Toast
- 1 loaf (1 lb) soft French bread (about 18 inches long)
- 4 oz (half 8-oz package) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup fat-free egg product
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag (10 oz) Cascadian Farm® frozen organic raspberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cut bread into 24 (3/4-inch-thick) slices. Spread 12 slices with cream cheese. Spread remaining bread slices with preserves; place over cream cheese to make 12 sandwiches. Arrange in baking dish, pressing together if necessary to fit.
2. In medium bowl, beat egg product, milk, 1 tablespoon sugar and the salt with wire whisk until blended. Pour over bread in dish. Let stand 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
3. Heat oven to 400°F. Cover dish with foil; bake 10 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix sauce ingredients until blended. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Boil 30 seconds to 1 minute or just until thickened. Place strainer over medium bowl; pour raspberry mixture into strainer. Press mixture with back of spoon through strainer to remove seeds; discard seeds. Serve sauce over French toast.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 3, uncover and bake 23 to 28 minutes.