Chicken Tortilla Soup
I came up with this after eating at Chuy's and loving their tortilla soup sooo much I just had to try to make. And it turned out to be a big hit with the fam!
- 2 chicken breastS, grilled or roasted
- 1 can tomatoes, diced, 14 ounces
- 2 cans chicken broth, 14 1/2 ounces
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, dried, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons EVOO (olive oil)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Avocoado, sliced
- Jack cheese, shredded
- Tortilla chips
- 1 jalapeno, chopped, if desired
- Note: Use only 1 stalk celery and 1 carrot if you do not want your soup as chunky. You can also use the tomatoes drained if you don't want as broth as tomatoey. 2 cans of broth will also make the soup
Simmer EVOO, garlic, onion and celery in large saucepan or soup pot for about 8 minutes. I also add in corn at this point and get the corn somewhat pan roasted for extra flavor. Then add broth, can tomatoes, diced chicken, carrots, cilantro, little pepper, lime juice. Let simmer low to med. Heat for about 30 minutes.
Top with avocado, Jack cheese, chopped jalapeno (if desired spicy hot) and serve with tortilla chips.