- 1 pound leftover roast beef (or boiled beef)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup beef gravy (if possible, reserved from original roast, but store-bought is fine)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley or rosemary, garnish
Adapted from 12tomatoes.com
Preheat oven to 400º F.
In a large pan over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of your butter and sauté onions until softened and translucent.
Stir in flour until you have a thick, paste-like sauce. Pour in beef gravy, broth and red wine vinegar. Mix until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
Place a little of sauce on the bottom of baking dish and layer leftover meat on top. Then pour the rest of sauce and onions over the top. Evenly spread breadcrumbs over the top and drizzle with leftover butter.
Place in oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until warmed through and the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy.
Remove, garnish with parsley or rosemary and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.