Rice Dressing (Dirty Rice)
This rice dressing recipe is very versatile, and is sometimes called Dirty Rice. A mixture of sautéed vegetables, ground pork and gizzards are mixed with cooked rice. You can add oysters and/or mushrooms to make it your own.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 pound chicken gizzards, cleaned
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste (Tony's)
- 1 pint raw oysters, optional
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 160mins
In a small, heavy saucepan, make a dark brown roux with 2 tablespoons oil and flour. Set aside.
In a large, heavy skillet brown the ground pork in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. When the meat is brown, add onions, green pepper, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
In the meantime, place the gizzards in a pot with enough water to cover. Boil until tender. Drain the gizzards and reserve the stock. Grind the gizzards in a meat grinder or food processor. Add this to the pork mixture along with the roux. Mix together the gizzards, pork, roux, reserved stock, and seasonings. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
Immediately before serving, add the parsley and green onions. Add the rice and mix gently but thoroughly. Adjust seasonings. Add options right before mixing with rice if desired.
You'll also love
- Caramel-Filled Maple-Pecan Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Curly Fries with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grandma Gigi's Oyster Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mom's Oyster Dressing 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Brown Rice Stuffing in... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Glazed Cornish Hens with... 0/5 (0 Votes)