Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes
Bake ahead assembly sweet potatoes and refrigerate for up to 24 hours
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed (12 to 14 ounces each)
- 5 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 cup minced shallots ( 2 shallots)
- 1 teaspoon minced frosh thyme leaves, plus 6 sprigs to lay across top as ganish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces Taleggio cheese, small-diced (6 ounces with rind)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil.
Place the potatoes on teh prepared sheet pan and cut a few slits in each potato to allow steam to escape. Bake the potatoes for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until very tender when tested with a skewer. Set aside for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute for 4-5 minutes until tender. Add the thyme and cook for 1 minute. Set aside
Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and carefully scoop out some of the warm potato into a medium bowl with a teaspoon leaving a 1/2 inch think shell of sweet potato. The potatoes should look like little canoes. Sprinkle the potato shells generously with salt and pepper. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the scooped-out potato flesh and mash it with a fork. Add the egg, shallots, Taleggio, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and stir until combined. Spoon the mixture into the sweet potato shells and to each with a sprig of frosh thyme. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until puffed and lightly brown serve hot