Baked Persimmons With Muscat Wine And Creme Fraiche
- 1 dry croissant
- (or 2 cups of any stale sweet bread)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 persimmons see * Note 1
- 1 1/2 cups muscat wine
- 2 cups creme fraiche see * Note 2
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 1/4 ounces roasted chopped macadamia nuts
- Fresh mint (optional)
* Note 1: It is important to get the softest and ripest persimmons available. This will cut down on the cooking time and will result in a tastier dish.
* Note 2: Creme fraiche is available in most supermarkets, but sour cream may be substituted.
Cut croissant into 1-inch cubes and bake at 250 degrees until dry enough to be processed into crumbs, about 20 minutes. Place in food processor and pulse to break bread into crumbs. Add brown sugar and butter and mix 1 more minute. Set aside.
Peel and cut tops from persimmons. Scoop out white core, creating small cavity. Place persimmons in baking pan and add just enough water to cover base of pan. Cover persimmons with foil and bake at 350 degrees until persimmons are soft and fork-tender, 30 to 50 minutes, depending on ripeness of fruit.
When soft, drain excess water from pan and drizzle persimmons with 1/2 cup Muscat wine. Place persimmons back in oven without any foil and bake another 5 minutes. Set aside.
Bring remaining 1 cup Muscat wine to boil in saucepan and reduce to half. Set aside to cool. When cool, add creme fraiche. Whip cream to soft peaks. Fold into creme fraiche-wine mixture. Refrigerate to chill.
About 10 minutes before serving, fill each persimmon with 1/2 tablespoon macadamia nuts and top with 1 tablespoon bread crumb-brown sugar mixture. Broil persimmons until top browns, about 5 minutes. Watch closely so top does not burn.
Once brown, remove from broiler and transfer to serving platter. Top baked persimmons with Muscat cream and garnish with mint leaves. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Each serving: 600 calories, 224 mg sodium, 137 mg cholesterol, 49 grams fat, 35 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams protein, 0.62 grams fiber