These waffles will be much thicker if you’re using a standard waffle maker, and will only yield six squares (1 1/2 whole waffles). In either case, cook them well-done so you get crisp edges.
- Special Equipment:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled, plus more for waffle iron
- Brown cheese (Gjetost), crème fraîche, strawberry jam, and/or unsalted butter (for serving)
- A Norwegian heart-shaped waffle iron
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/3 cup water in another medium bowl; add to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites to stiff peaks and gently fold into batter.
Heat waffle iron until very hot and lightly brush with butter. Working in batches, cook waffles until golden brown and crisp. Stack waffles and serve with desired toppings.