Penne with Butternut Squash
Per serving: Calories 499; Fat 14 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 18 mg; Sodium 330 mg; Carbohydrate 77 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 17 g
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole-wheat or multigrain penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash (about 8 ounces)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot or 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1.Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs; reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, shallot and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring, until the shallot softens, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the pasta, squash and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until heated through,1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup parmesan, then stir in enough of the remaining cooking water to loosen. Stir in the oregano and season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan.