Shrimp and Cod soup with tomatos and mashed potatoes.
- 4 Large baking potatoes peeled and thickly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Onions thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 ribs celery from the heart, with leafy greens, chopped
- 3 to 4 clovesd garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce cn diced or stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds of thick cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- NOTE: Lucy's Version
- Double all liquids; add 1-5.5 ounce can of V-8 and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste; also add 1 carrot peeled and diced.
1. In a deep pot, add the potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 15 minutes. DRAIN.
2. In a Dutch oven or a large deep skillet with a lid, heat the EVOO (Olive Oil), 3 turns of the pan, over medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and lemon peel; season with salt and pepper.
Cook until the onions are softened 7 to 8 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth and the tomatoes with their juice; bring to a simmer. Add the cod in a single layer, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Gently stir in the shrimp; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the cod and shrimp are just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice, discard the Bay Leaf.
3. Mash the potatoes with the remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth, the vinegar and butter; season with salt.
4. To serve, mound the potatoes into shallow bowls. Ladel the stoup around the potatoes.
NOTE:Dice potatoes and cook separately, but be sure not to overcook them, then add at the end, as above.
The soup portion can be made ahead of time. Then add the cubed cod and cook for 3 min., add shrimp and cook for another 3 min., add the potato, simmer for 2 min. and serve. Follow the original recipe for seasonings. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Lamb Sausage Patties with Fresh... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- HGs Kickin' Cranberry Sauce 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia - Dairy... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Baked Lobster & Brie Dip (CE) 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Fiery Grilled Shrimp with Honeydew... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Grilled Shrimp Scampi 5/5 (2 Votes)
- HCG Diet Soy Poached Fish 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Seared Cod with Spinach-Lemon Sauce 5/5 (1 Votes)