Escarole-and-Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion, halved lengthwise and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- Two 3/4-pound heads of escarole, white and light green leaves only, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 cup marcona almonds, chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the vinegar with the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt until the sugar dissolves. Add the onion and toss. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, until the onion is bright pink and crisp-tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well.
In a serving bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the olive oil, pepper, garlic and the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Season the dressing with salt. Add the escarole, brussels sprouts, almonds and pickled onion and toss. Season with salt and toss again; serve.
MAKE AHEAD The undressed salad can be refrigerated for up to 6 hours. The dressing can be refrigerated overnight.
You'll also love
- Turkey Gravy (Vitamix) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Bean Soup (Panera) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- LIME FLUFF 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Carrot Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Zucchini Chips with Paprika... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Curry Tilapia, Spinach and... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Artichoke and Spinach... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Italian Sausage & Escarole Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)