Rhubarb And Fig Pie - ...
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 pounds rhubarb trimmed, and cut into 1" chunks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup chopped Calimyrna figs - (1/4 lb)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon turbinado (coarse brown) sugar
In a food processor or in a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the butter and pulse, or cut in with a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, and juice through the feed tube, or stir in, and pulse or mix just until a dough starts to form. Gather the dough into a ball and wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling: In a medium saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, and water. Cook, stirring, over low heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the figs and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured board surface, roll out one piece to a 13-inch circle. Fit it into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, and trim off the excess dough.
Spoon the filling into the pan. Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the top.
Roll out the second piece of dough to an 11-inch circle. With a pastry wheel, cut the dough into 1/2-inch wide strips. Made a lattice top for the tart. Pinch the ends of the strips into the bottom pastry. Scatter the turbinado sugar over the top of the tart.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the lattice top is nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a rack. Cut into wedges to serve.
Note: If you wish, use any leftover dough to make miniature tarts and fill them with jam.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Fig Meatballs 4.4/5 (80 Votes)
- Fig Jam 4.5/5 (68 Votes)