Shiner Bock and Cheddar Cheese Soup
Shiner Bock and Cheddar Cheese Soup with Jalapeños and Garlic Croutons
Recipes from "Texas on the Table"
Makes 12 servings
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 baking potatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds total, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 jalapeños, seeds and veins removed, minced
- ¹⁄3 cup whole-grain mustard
- 1 longneck bottle (12 ounces) Shiner Bock beer
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 1/2 cups (14 ounces) shredded Texas cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
For soup: Heat the canola oil in a heavy-bottomed 6-quart soup pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots, celery and diced potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are wilted and transparent, about 8 minutes.
Add the jalapeños, mustard, beer and chicken stock. Stir to blend well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft and have started to break apart. Purée the soup in batches in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Return soup to a clean pot and stir in the cheese. Cook, stirring, just until the cheese has melted. Season to taste with salt. Do not allow the soup to boil once the cheese has been added. Stir in the whipping cream and cook just to heat the cream through. Set aside and keep warm while making the croutons.