DIY Starbucks Vanilla Spice Latte
- Vanilla Cardamom Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom plus a few smashed pods
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- For the Latte
- 3-4 teaspoons Vanilla Cardamom syrup (or to taste)
- 1-2 shots espresso
- 1 cup hot frothed milk
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Vanilla Sugar, for topping
Adapted from americancupcakeabroad.com
Starbucks describes it as “Starbucks signature espresso combined with freshly steamed milk, rich vanilla, and subtle hints of cardamom and spice. Topped with whipped cream, crushed vanilla bean and a touch of sugar”. I was a bit baffled about what the “other spices” could be.
1. Make the syrup. In a saucepan bring the water, sugar and cardamom to a boil. I ground the cardamom as best as I could. In the end I also tossed a few sightly crushed pods in to infuse. Let boil for two minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain the mixture and pour into a sterilized jar. Keep refrigerated for up to one month.
2. Make the latte by pouring the espresso and syrup into a mug. Top with the hot frothed milk and foam. Add a swirl of whipped cream if desired and a sprinkle of vanilla sanding sugar. I didn’t have sanding sugar so I used some vanilla powdered sugar.