Kale Tarts with Fennel and Olives
Kale and fennel lend a unique sweetness to these briny puff pastry tarts. They're perfect as appetizers, savory breakfasts, or as an accompaniment to a bowl of soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium bulb fennel, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium bunch Lacinato kale, stems removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 17-oz. package (2 sheets) puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Adapted from saveur.com
1. Heat oil is a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add fennel and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Lower heat; add kale, cover pan and cook until kale is soft and wilted, adding a teaspoon of water if necessary, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and fold in feta, olives and parsley. Season with pepper to taste.
2. Preheat oven to 375° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Unroll both puff pastry sheets onto a floured work surface. Cut each sheet into 9 squares. Cut L-shaped slits on opposite corners of each square (creating a frame-like shape). Take hold of both corners and fold them toward the opposite side, passing one corner under the other and pressing them in place, to create a diamond-shaped pocket to hold the filling.
3. Mound 1-2 tablespoons of filling into each pocket; top with a little more feta and a drizzle of olive oil. Place pockets on the prepared baking sheets and brush the outer edges with melted butter. Bake until golden brown and puffed, 30-35 minutes. Serve warm, topped with more feta if you like.
You'll also love
- Oven-Roasted Sea Bass With Green... 4.8/5 (6 Votes)
- Crumb Topped Apple and Pumpkin Pie 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Grilled Summer Squash Stacks with... 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Escarole and Bean Soup 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Spinach Corn Bread 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Herbed Quinoa & Red Rice Stuffing... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Northern Spy's Kale Salad 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Zucchini & Olive Oil Cake 4.5/5 (6 Votes)