Three-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 8 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, and salt; stir until cheeses melt. Discard bay leaf.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to cheese mixture, stirring well. Place about 1/2 cup pasta mixture into each of 6 (1-cup) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Top evenly with remaining pasta mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Spray lightly with cooking spray; sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until heated.