Florence Style Spinach In White Sauce - ...
- BESCIAMELLA SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot whole milk
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Grinding of coarse black pepper
- 2 packages fresh spinach - (10 oz ea) washed and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook the mixture over medium heat until it thickens on the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and pepper. Cover and set aside. (Makes 2 cups)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the spinach in a large pot without any additional water. When it is wilted, drain it and squeeze it dry. Heat the olive oil in a saute pan, add the garlic and the spinach and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the besciamella sauce and transfer the mixture to a 9-inch Pyrex baking dish.
Spoon the remaining sauce over the top of the spinach and sprinkle the top with the cheese.
Bake about 15 minutes or until the mixture is hot and the cheese has browned. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Secretly Healthy Spinach Dip aka... 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts 4.6/5 (127 Votes)