Cheesy Portabello Caps with Turkey/Sage
Cabot Cheese Recipe
- Makes 4 main-course servings
- 4 large portabello mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey
- 3 ounces Cabot White Oak Cheddar*, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- If Cabot White Oak Cheddar is not available in your area, you can substitute for Cabot Vermont Sharp Cheddar or Cabot New York Extra Sharp Cheddar.
1. Preheat grill to medium.
2. Remove stems from mushroom caps. With spoon, scrape out and discard gills. Brush tops lightly with oil and set aside.
3. In medium bowl, mix together shallots, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg; add turkey and knead together just until seasonings are evenly distributed. Divide turkey mixture among mushroom caps.
4. Place turkey-side-up on grill. Close lid (or cover with tent of foil) and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until turkey is cooked through to center.
5. Top with cheddar, cover again and cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer.