Pork with Rice Noodles, Scallions, and Chile
A riff on larb, a vibrant ground-meat salad from Laos, this dish has sour, salty, and spicy flavors from lime juice, fish sauce, and chile, balanced by a fragrant hit of fresh mint and cilantro.
- 8 oz. wide rice (pad thai) noodles
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 medium limes)
- 3 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground pork
- Kosher salt
- 1 large red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions (both white and green parts), trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 to 1 small fresh green chile, such as Thai or serrano, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs. chopped peanuts
Adapted from finecooking.com
Bring a 6- to 8-quart pot of water to a boil and boil the noodles following the package directions until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the pork and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat into small pieces, until cooked through and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt to taste, then transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in the skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion, scallions, and chile. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions and scallions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Return the pork to the skillet and toss to combine. Add the noodles and cook, tossing gently, until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice mixture and the herbs, and toss gently to combine. Garnish with the peanuts and serve.
You'll also love
- Asparagus Soup 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Moroccan Turnip and Chickpea Braise 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Eggplant and Turkey Sausage Lasagna 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Lasagna with Lamb and Peas 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Amish Macaroni Salad 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Curried Zucchini & Couscous 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Apple Stuffing for Pork Loin Roast 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- LASAGNA WITH HOMEMADE GRAIN-FREE... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)