Quinoa and Black Bean Salad with Citrus-Coriander Dressin
In addition to fresh orange segments, this quinoa and black bean salad has an orange-coriander dressing made with orange juice, orange zest, fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves, and toasted coriander seeds. It brightens up the palate and is just the sort of comforting yet cheerful nourishment we crave this time of year.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (any color), rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 large oranges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups (or 1 can) cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over low heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool.
Prepare oranges while quinoa is cooling. Finely grate the zest of one orange and set aside. Supreme both oranges, reserving the juice (squeeze the orange membranes after segmenting), and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together orange zest, 3 tablespoons of orange juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, coriander seeds, salt, a few cracks of pepper, and chopped cilantro. Adjust seasonings if desired.
Place quinoa, black beans, onion, and orange segments in a large bowl and stir gently to combine. Pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.
Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Linda Evans' Dynasty Corn Pudding 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Apple Pie 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Avocado Buttercream Frosting 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
- Qdoba Lime Cilantro Rice 4/5 (53 Votes)
- Lemon Frangipane 4/5 (35 Votes)
- Tuscan White Bean and Roasted... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Black Beans with Rice and Avocado 4.5/5 (10 Votes)