Butternut-Squash and Kale Gratin
- 1 butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled
- 1/2 bunch kale (about 8 ounces), stems and tough ribs removed, leaves torn into large pieces (about 7 packed cups)
- Unsalted butter, for baking dish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup packed small fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons panko
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice squash just above bulb. Slice squash neck crosswise into 1/4-inch rounds. Cut squash bulb in half lengthwise. Remove seeds with a spoon; discard. Slice each half crosswise into 1/4-inch half-moons.
Set a steamer basket in a large pot filled with 1 inch water; bring to a boil. Add kale, cover, and steam until bright green and wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Squeeze dry.
Butter a shallow 4-quart baking dish (13 by 9 inches). Arrange half of sliced squash in dish, shingling pieces to overlap. Season with salt and pepper. Top with kale, season with more salt and pepper, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan and 2 tablespoons sage. Place remaining squash on top, overlapping pieces slightly; season with more salt and pepper. Pour cream over squash and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sage.
Cover tightly with parchment-lined foil and bake until squash is tender, about 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with panko and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Chicken and noodles 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Hoisin Chicken and Bok Choy Kebabs 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Broccoli-Bacon-Raisin Salad 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Spinach & Pink Lady Apple Salad 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemony Barley Salad with Kale Pesto 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Farmbar Turkey Burgers with... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Warm Kale-and-Asiago Dip 4.3/5 (3 Votes)