Yield: 4 servings (1 cup filling & 2 cups salad each)
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring often and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, cumin and chili powder; cook, stirring, until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 1/4 cup of the salsa mixture.
Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture in the bowl; toss to coat. To serve, divide the lettuce among 4 plates, top with the turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese.