Turkey, Apple, Sage Meatloaf
- 4 oz. fresh sourdough bread, crusts removed cut into slices
- 1 piece peeled fresh ginger (1-1/2 inch), coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 small onions, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/2C)
- 2 green apples --1 cored, peeled and coarsely chopped; 1 left whole
- 1/2 c dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 # ground turkey
- 4 t coarsely chopped sage, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 2 T maple syrup
Heat oven to 375. Process bread in processor until you have about 2C coarse crumbs. Place in large bowl. Chop ginger and garlic in processor. Then add onion and chopped apple and puree. Transfer to bowl with crumbs. Add eggs through pepper and mix thoroughly with hands.
Form into about a 12x5x3 rectangle in a baking pan or rimmed baking sheet. Peel and core remaining apple. Cut into 1/8 rings; arrange rings on top of meat. Bake 30 minutes. Cover and bake until apples are soft and translucent, about 15 minutes. Uncover; brush with maple syrup. Bake until no longer pink in center, about 10 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.