Cheddar and Herb Biscuits
From Stick A Fork In It blog
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- 3 tbsp. butter, cold (or room temp works too)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk + 1.5 tsp. vinegar = let sit 10 min.)
- 1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups is yummy)
- Buttery Topping:
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. dried parsley flakes (optional - pretty though)
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from forkinit.blogspot.com
1. Preheat oven to 425 dF.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt.
3. Cut in shortening and butter until coarse crumbs are formed.
4. Lightly mix in grated cheese.
5. Mix in buttermilk just until moist (do not over mix = tough).
6. Drop the biscuits onto a greased or lined baking sheet (use cookie scooper).
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until browned and golden.
8. While biscuits baking, in small bowl, combine butter, parsley, garlic powder, and salt.
9. Right when biscuits come out of oven, brush butter/herb mixture over biscuits evenly (or dip the top into mix).