Green Beans Almondine
This recipe is best with unsplit string beans, but make sure to use the tenderest beans you can find.
- 2 lbs. string beans
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 shallots, peeled and chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
Adapted from saveur.com
1. Cook 2 lbs trimmed string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 3-8 minutes, depending on tenderness of beans desired. Drain; let cool in a large bowl of ice water. Drain; pat dry, and set aside.
2. Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add 1 cup slivered almonds and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until almonds are golden, 2-3 minutes. Add 3 chopped peeled shallots and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 1 minute.
3. Add beans, tossing to coat, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.