ginger shrimp skewers
- 16 shrimp, large in shells
- 1 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 3 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, white wine
- 1 teaspoon oil, toasted sesame
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh, grated or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 16 pea pods, fresh
- 8 mandarin oranges, canned, sections
- soy sauce, less sodium
- Marinate 1 to 2 hours.
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 96mins
Adapted from everydayhealth.com
Marinate 1 to 2 hours.
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). In a large saucepan, bring the water to boiling. Add the shrimp. Cover and simmer for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Drain. Rinse shrimp with cold water; drain.
2. Place shrimp in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow bowl. Add the orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, oil, ginger, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic to bag. Seal bag; turn to coat shrimp. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.
3. Place pea pods in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam for 2 to 3 minutes or just until tender. Rinse with cold water; drain.
4. Drain shrimp, discarding marinade. Wrap each shrimp with a pea pod. On each of eight 6-inch skewers, thread 2 wrapped shrimp and 1 mandarin orange section. If desired, serve with soy sauce.