Feel Better Vegetable Soup
From Rita Heikenfeld. This recipe is meant to be a guide. Add more or less of ingredients as you go along.
- Some type of oil to film bottom of pan
- 3 cups butternut or acorn squash or pumpkin
- 2 nice sized carrots, sliced
- 2 cups onion
- 1 generous teaspoon garlic or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups or more of broth, chicken, vegetable, or your choice
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Couple handfuls of fresh chard, spinach, kale or mixed salad greens
- 1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed chickpeas or favorite beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For garnish: Romano or Parmesan cheese, shredded
Heat oil in pot over medium high heat. Add squash, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions and squash start to soften.
Add allspice, thyme, broth, tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir greens into soup and serve with shredded cheese.