Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- 6 ounces dried gemelli pasta (about 1 2/3 cups) or dried medium noodles (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken*
- 1 15 ounce jar mushroom Alfredo pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian-blend cheeses (6 ounces)
- 1 9 ounce package frozen cut asparagus or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bottled roasted red sweet peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried fines herbes or Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs) or fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds or chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return to hot pan.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan melt the 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until mushrooms are tender. Stir into pasta along with the chicken, pasta sauce, Italian-blend cheeses, asparagus, sour cream, roasted sweet peppers, and fines herbes. Transfer mixture to an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish.
In a small bowl combine panko, nuts, Parmesan cheese, and the 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
* If you don't have cooked chicken on hand, pick some up at the supermarket. Look for refrigerated or frozen chopped, cooked chicken or buy deli-roasted chicken, each of which will yield 1 1/2 to 2 cups of boneless chopped meat. If you like, you can cook your own. In a large skillet combine 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Drain well. Chop chicken. By starting with 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, you will get about 3 cups cubed cooked chicken.