Black Bean Soup
This is a zippy Southwestern-flavored black bean soup. We make it with canned beans so it comes together in minutes. If you have leftovers, pack them up in individual serving containers for lunch the next day
- 1 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 2 can(s) (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed
- 3 cup(s) water
- 1/2 cup(s) prepared salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- 4 tablespoon(s) reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from delish.com
1.Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add beans, water, salsa, and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice.
2.Transfer half the soup to a blender and puree (use caution when pureeing hot liquids). Stir the puree back into the saucepan. Serve garnished with sour cream and cilantro, if desired.
Carb Servings: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat. Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2. Nutrition Bonus: Folate (22% daily value), Iron, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% dv).