Queso Fresco Cheesesticks
- 12 ounces queso fresco, sliced into 6 large or 12 smaller sticks
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. In the first bowl, add the flour; in the second bowl add the eggs; in the third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
2. Slice the cheese, dredge through flour, dip into egg and coat in bread crumbs. Transfer to plate, cover with plastic and freeze for 2 hours. Remove 15 minutes before cooking.
3. In a medium skillet, preheat olive oil to medium heat for 5 minutes. Fry two to three cheesesticks at a time so you don't overcrowd the pan. Just until nicely browned, turn as needed. Transfer onto plate lined with paper towels. Serve right away with 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa. Garnish with cilantro.
Notes: This will work with most any cheese, I just had some queso fresco that I had to use up, and it does not melt like a jack cheese or mozzarella cheese does, so for that reason it works well for this recipe.