Baked Corn Dogs
- U.S. Metric Conversion chart
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting sausages
- 2/3 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- cup(s) milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon(s) vegetable oil
- 4 (13 ounces total) precooked smoked chicken sausages
- Ketchup and mustard, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Make a well in center; add milk, eggs, and oil. Mix just until combined.
Insert an ice-pop stick into one end of each sausage, leaving a 1 1/2-inch handle. Dust with flour; tap off excess. Using handle, rotate each sausage over bowl as you spoon batter to coat evenly. Place on sheet; bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Using a spatula, reapply batter that has slipped onto sheet. Return to oven; bake until golden, 20 minutes. Serve with ketchup and mustard, if desired.