Spicy Sausage, Mushroom, and Polenta Bake
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped* (optional)
- 1 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (6)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 9.2 ounce package quick-cooking polenta mix (1 -1/2 cups)
- 2 cups shredded smoked provolone cheese (8 ounces)
Preparation time 50mins
Adapted from bhg.com
In a large skillet cook sausage, 2 cloves minced garlic, and the jalapeno, if using, over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain fat. Stir in marinara sauce. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.
In another large skillet cook mushrooms, onions, 2 cloves minced garlic, and the rosemary in hot oil over medium heat until mushrooms release their liquid and liquid evaporates, leaving mixture almost dry. Stir in whipping cream, wine, and salt. Cook over low heat about 10 minutes or until mixture is reduced to a thick, creamy consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart oval or rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the sausage mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
In a large saucepan bring chicken broth, the water, and the Italian seasoning to boiling. Add polenta in a slow, steady stream, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 1 minute or until polenta is thickened, stirring constantly.
Working quickly, evenly spread half of the cooked polenta over the sausage in the baking dish. Add the mushroom mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle half of the provolone cheese over the mushroom mixture. Quickly spread the remaining polenta over top as evenly as possible. Top polenta with the remaining sausage mixture and remaining cheese.
Cover with a sheet of greased foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
You'll also love
- Bacon-Studded Venison Burgers 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Shrimp with Spicy Breadcrumbs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sheet Pan Pumpkin Pie 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Bacon-Alfredo Casserole 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Mustard Vinaigrette and Bacon... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Angel Hair with Bacon, Brussels... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- TENDERLOIN OF BEEF WITH RED WINE... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Camilla Consuelos' Sausage Apple... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)